AutismOklahoma’s program, Piece of Mind, will grant life-saving safety equipment to families with one or more children on the autism spectrum whose safety is at risk. Through an application process, qualifying families may receive a GPS tracking system with one year of monitoring. Initial gifts of tracking systems from K8e Bands. AutismOklahoma hopes that contributions and grants will allow for expansion into pool alarms and locks.
Oklahoma is no stranger to stories with tragic endings when children with autism wander. Recently, a child from Duncan wandered off and was found deceased in a creek after heroic searches. A group of parents and providers approached AutismOklahoma after this incident and started the conversation that created Piece of Mind.
If you would like your family to be considered for a grant, please complete and submit the application.
- Deadline for grant period 1 is March 15, 2020.
- Deadline for grant period 2 is September 25, 2020.
The National Autism Society reports the following:
- Nearly half of children with autism engage in wandering behavior and the risks increase with the severity of the autism
- More than one third of children with autism who wander/elope are never or rarely able to communicate their name, address, or phone number
- Accidental drowning accounts for 71% of lethal outcomes, followed by traffic injuries at 18%, with other dangers include dehydration; heat stroke; hypothermia; falls; physical restraint; encounters with strangers