Oklahoma is no stranger to stories with tragic endings when children with autism wander. Recently, a child from Duncan wandered off and was found deceased in a creek after heroic searches. A group of parents and providers approached AutismOklahoma after this incident and started the conversation that created Piece of Mind.
If you would like your family to be considered for a grant, please complete and submit the application.
- Deadline for grant period 1 is March 19, 2021.
- Deadline for grant period 2 is September 24, 2021.
The National Autism Society reports the following:
- Nearly half of children with autism engage in wandering behavior and the risks increase with the severity of the autism
- More than one third of children with autism who wander/elope are never or rarely able to communicate their name, address, or phone number
- Accidental drowning accounts for 71% of lethal outcomes, followed by traffic injuries at 18%, with other dangers include dehydration; heat stroke; hypothermia; falls; physical restraint; encounters with strangers