Every parent support group has its own unique members and needs! Group Leaders are at liberty to develop programs that meet the needs of their groups. However, sometimes, we all need a few new ideas! So here are some ideas that you may wish to use! The themes for each month will be utilized by Autism Oklahoma for constant contact, web articles, and social media! Be creative with the themes and develop and share your ideas!
These speakers have agreed to partner with us on speaking to the groups. Click here!
You might want to show and discuss a video during your meeting. If you know of a good video, please let us know and we will start a library and publish the titles that we have.
We will focus on re-introducing our Connection Circles and the programs offered by our groups, the PieceWalk committee, and more. All of these committees provide a way for our families to work together AND be connected to each other!
Ideas for September meeting:
- Invite Jan Moss and have a laugh! (see speakers list)
- Invite a parent to tell their story. Focus on how being involved in the PieceWalk or Connection Circle has been a positive influence.
- Go around the room and ask each parent to introduce themselves. Tell the best thing about last school year and your dream for this year.
- Brainstorm about the needs of the group. How can we help each other live life? Bring a straw man calendar for the meetings to get input.
- Play “getting to know you” games. (Source)
The Statewide Autism Conference is usually held in October. We will promote this event as well as the education programs offered by our Connection Circles. Book a speaker or develop a great program for October. Don’t forget to thank your speakers with a personal note or maybe a gift card! Here are some ideas:
If your group focuses on the problem, November can be a great time to develop a program that focuses on the positives and ways to be thankful.
This is a great time to have a party, incorporate Dash, and have a FUN relaxing time!
- Social event with Santa and/or Dash
- Watch a movie or play a game
- Wrap presents together
- Bring a snack to share, maybe a healthy one!
- Change the location of the meeting